Friday, May 30, 2008

Adventures in Belo Horizonte

Yesterday was an interesting day.  I got up to take a shower, and as I was leaning over to pick up a pair of pants, I threw out my back.  How can picking up a pair of pants throw out your back? you might ask.  Great question.  I cannot say I have an answer to that question, but I can testify that it is in deed possible.  I have broken a toe, both wrists, and three fingers in my 22 years of life and never cried at any of them, but I think a tear or two dropped yesterday... I was in pain!  

The ibuprofen began immediately, along with alternating ice and heat.  I missed lunch due to the pain.  But early afternoon I went for a walk, which helped.  

Around 4pm, we went to professor Carlos Gom's house... wow!  He has his own jungle in the middle of Belo Horizonte - plants that produce mango, Persian lime (whatever that is, right?), coffee, passion fruit, oranges, lemons, myrrh, you name it.  Not to mention it was just a beautiful house.  We talked some business and got a few more "leads" for our research and then were off to the ballet.

A group called Corpo ("body") was performing at the university.  The venue was outside in a big area of grass, and it was free.  That was quite a deal considering tickets are usually $60 and up!  It was an amazing performance!  There were two pieces presented with an intermission in between.  The first was very modern - the most interesting ballet performance I had ever seen.  The second was more folkloric - also a spectacular performance!

I thought sitting for two hours on the grass would kill my back, but it actually helped so much!  By the end of the day, I was feeling considerably better - to my surprise.  I was afraid it would be "2 steps forward, 1 step back," though, waking up hurting all over again today.  But I am actually feeling even better today!  

And we're off!  until next time... 

2 comments:

Kevin said...

i knew it. we all have a middle schooler somewhere inside of us. good job on letting her out! did you guys also roll around on heely shoes and tp someone's house while drinking mountain dews?

TamaraJoi said...

Kara!
Well, it's not every day I hear of someone throwing out their back picking up jeans but it happens.
Im glad you're feeling better, but I'll be praying that you continue to heal.
Brazil sounds amazing, but I guess thats where amazing people go. ;)

I love you and will be checking up on these when I can. Im heading out tomorrow for Macedonia.
In His Love, - Tamara