Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Belo

So here's the latest.... 

I've been trying to figure out how and when I might be able to see some friends in Campinas.  They will be leaving to the States on Monday, June 9, and I will arrive late Sunday night, the 8th.  So waiting until I get to Campinas would not ensure that we would get to see each other.  Sunday night I was talking with Licinia to let her know the situation, and it donned on me that I could go during the morning/afternoon on Monday.  So that's exactly what we did... Dandara and I got up at 6, braved the rush hour traffic in Sao Paulo (the third largest city in the world, mind you), and caught a bus to Campinas, arriving about 10:30 or so that morning.  We got some lunch with my friends and went back to their house for dessert.  I decided since we were (literally) in the neighborhood, it would be fun to swing by the office and say hello.  It worked out so perfectly!  I have always wanted to surprise friends in Brazil, but, as you might imagine, that's slightly difficult.  So here was my chance!  We stopped by the Hope downtown office and said hello to Philip, Lucia, Luci, Marlete, and Grazielle.  Then stopped by the Smith's place and said hi to Corenne, Marc, Rosangela, and grandma (Corenne's mom).  And to my joy - and surprise - Nayana was even home, so we stopped by "my" house and said hey to Nayana.  I even got to pick up my keys so I don't have to worry about someone being home or not when I get there.  It was so great to see everyone!!

We got back to Sao Paulo with just enough time to take Dandara's dog for a quick walk and then pile into the taxi to head to the rodoviaria (bus station).  Then it was an 8 1/2 hour bus ride from Sao Paulo to Belo Horizonte.  It was a nice ride.  We took the "leito" bus, which is like first class sort of... foot rests, big seats that recline almost completely.  I even got some sleep! :o)  We arrived in Belo about 7 this morning and to the hotel close to 8.  We napped, took showers, got some lunch, explored the neighborhood a little bit, and met up with Wanessa (pronounced "Vanessa"), who happens to be my very first Portuguese teacher ever.  It's been a good day.  



We'll have an easy morning tomorrow and then our work begins.  We'll meet up with Fernanda (who studied at UNM this past year) for lunch and then head to one of the universities to meet with a professor there and begin exploring the possibility of setting up our service-learning program with him/this university.

No comments: