Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cultural Lesson #... I've lost count...

So, last night definitely qualifies as a cultural lesson.  I had been invited to a friend's house (Hugo's) for dinner.   I did not realize a bunch of people had been invited and that there would be a whole group of us, but that was the case (and really, that's beside the point).  He told me anytime from 7 on was fine to show up.  To me, that said the invitation was for 7.  But, in my "cultural wisdom," I knew it would be ignorant of me to actually show up at 7.  So, I timed things so that I got there around 7:45 or 8.  Now, let's think about that for just a moment... in the United States, if you are invited to dinner at seven and, without a phone call or any other notice, you do not show up by 8, one of three things has happened: 1. You were attacked with a case of amnesia and completely forgot.  2. You died.  or 3. You decided you completely hate the people who invited you.  I was quite proud of myself for foreseeing this cultural difference and was confident that I would arrive right about the time dinner was being placed on the table.  Turns out I need to go back to Brazilian culture school.  I arrived close to 8, and by 10:45 when we still hadn't eaten, I was about ready to go home without dinner.  Around 11, people were still showing up, but we finally did have dinner.  And it was quite spectacular, I must say.  I, in my American way, managed to get out by about 11:30 and home by midnight.  I'm still not quite sure how I managed that... 

No comments: