Friday, October 24, 2008

Dialogue in the Dark

Note: Although posted on Friday, Oct 24, this was actually written on Thursday, Oct 23. Also, it's another long one, but I hope you'll stick with it - or at least skip to the last 3 paragraphs or so.

Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be blind? I have. I’ve often wanted to “see” what it’s like to be blind, or deaf, or maybe spend a day in a wheelchair. Yesterday, I finally had the opportunity.

There’s an exhibition at the Galleria Mall this month called “Diálogo no Escuro” – Dialogue in the Dark. Here’s how it works – you pay to enter, put all your things – purse, cell phone, glasses, anything that could fall – in a locker, and a lady takes you in a small, dark room. Inside the room, the only light is an “Exit” light, and there is a container full of walking sticks. Everyone grabs a stick, introduces themselves, instructions are given, and it’s time to go in. You follow the wall with your hand as you walk down a “switchback” hallway – designed to keep all light out from the inside. Once you’re completely inside, it doesn’t matter how wide your eyes are open or how close your hand is to your face, you can’t see. Anything. At this point, you meet your guide (who happens to actually be blind), and the experience begins.

We went through 5 different environments – First was a forest, including trees, dirt, plants, a river to cross, a waterfall, a breeze, and the sound of birds. Next we came to a city street, complete with the sounds of traffic, and a parked VW bug. You walk down the sidewalk where there’s a gate at the front of a house with a dog barking out front, and after crossing the street there’s a motorcycle. Then it’s on to the fair, with all its smells and lots of fruits and vegetables to touch. After the fair, it’s time for a boat ride. The boat sways as you enter, and you can hear the sound of your walking stick hitting the wooden floor. The boat sways the whole way “across the lake,” and you feel the motor shake and the wind blow as you cross. Finally, we come to a little restaurant, where you can buy water, soda, chocolate, and/or chips.

At this point, we sat down as a group and “debriefed” after our experience. It really was incredible.

Before going into the exhibition, everyone saw each other. But, having just met, no one remembered well what the others looked like. So, during the hour and a half that we were in the dark, we got to know each other by our voices and the feel of our arms or clothing. I formed opinions, as I guess I always do (without even noticing), of the people by the way the interacted. Gustavo was loud and had something to say about everything, but he included everyone and enjoyed everything – out loud – a very fun person. Raquel was sweet and slightly – but not in a bad way – overwhelmed by the experience. Max was the “class clown” – with a comment about everything. Tulio was quite shy. And so on. Over all, I liked everyone. Really, everyone. In fact, I thought – if someone would be willing to give me a ride home, I wouldn’t think twice about it – it’d beat the bus. And plus, these people were my friends now, right? I felt I knew them could trust them. When we got to the end, our guide did not come out into the light with us – meaning we never saw him. I was tempted to ask if we could see him. I was tempted even to ask if we could go back through the whole thing with the lights on to see what it was really like. I kept my mouth shut, though, and I was glad. Fabio was there for the second time, and he shared something that happened the first time he went: a man in his group said to the guide at the end, “So are you going to go out into the light with us so we can meet each other?” The guide’s reply was, “But we met each other an hour and a half ago.” Silence.

It’s incredible how much our vision dictates what we do and defines how we perceive our world and react to it. I’m almost ashamed to admit it, but when we got out into the light, I didn’t like my new friends as much. I literally thought, “I prefer you all when I can’t see you” – although I didn’t say that. By their appearance, I may have never even cared to talk to most of these people. My new friends dissolved before my eyes. It was incredible. For a second, I wished I was blind.

It might have been a challenge getting through all 5 environments. But now is the real challenge – how do I hold on to what I’ve learned from this experience? How can I let it influence the way I treat others? The way I relate to the world around me? The way I relate to God?

Walk by faith, not by sight.

2 comments:

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Parabéns pelo Blogue.
É muito bonito, gosto do que leio e vejo.
Um abraço desde Portugal

sharilyn said...

WOW! what an amazing experience! i'm so glad you shared it, kara! i wish we had something like that here. and the application of the experience to God and our relationships/interaction with others... hmmm. much to be thought through and learned from it. hold tightly to it... these kinds of learning experiences arent' easy to come by!