Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Evicted

We (Hope Unlimited) recently began renting a small commercial space across the street from the office. The deal finally closed last week, and the keys were handed over to us. During the past months that the space has been empty, a homeless man "moved in," spending his days and nights curled up in the corner of the covered patio in the front. Today it was time to ask him to leave, as we cannot have him there when we open it up for business (the space is probably destined to be some sort of extension to our current thrift store). The local police came by just now, at our request, to ask the man to leave. I watched the scene. From my viewpoint from across the street, it was peaceful and quick, no hassle. As I watched the man, dirty and covered with torn, ragged clothes, pack up his blankets and a few items - undoubtedly all he owns in the world - tears came to my eyes... and they don't seem to want to go away. We took this man's home from him. But then, what else were we supposed to do? He couldn't stay there, right? And I wonder where he'll go now. I wonder what his story is. He crossed the street and walked down the sidewalk that passes our office. I walked the length of the office "next" to him, walking at the same pace, looking toward him through each window as I passed, and hanging my head as he did when a wall separated us. He, in his rags, with his world packed up in a bag and thrown over his shoulder. Me, in my dress pants and high heels, my world spread across continents and oceans, and I usually don't have enough room for everything. What do I do? How do I help? I pray that God will use me as a part of His team here at Hope to continue rescuing even more children, saving many of them from the destiny of this man. But there's got to be more I can do... there has to be more...

"A religion that is pure and stainless according to God the Father is this: to take care of orphans and widows who are suffering, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." James 1:27

1 comment:

sharilyn said...

wow, kara. what a powerful story...and sad. there are so many and so few of us even give them a thought in our daily lives... thanks for sharing.