Saturday, January 24, 2009

God is a pretty good Guy

Ok, so the title of this blog is an understatement.  BY FAR.  God is incredibly, ridiculously, wonderfully amazing!!  He blesses me for no reason.  He sheds his grace, love and mercy upon me.  He runs after me when I go astray.  And I have done nothing to deserve any of it.

As far as my visa goes, I have no news yet.  We have made contact with a couple people this week and are waiting on some answers to see what possibilities I have for the next step.

As far as my living situation goes, things didn't work out with the one girl (Iramaia), but probably for the better anyway.  Rosangela is currently in the States with Corenne and her mother and doesn't plan on returning to our apartment (even though she has yet to actually move her things out).  Nayana is still planning on going to the States in March if all goes well.  Since that leaves just me, why move?  Even if it does wind up being me and Nayana, that's fine.  This week, we replaced our refrigerator and stove - with used appliances, but we spent a grand total of about US$150.  Here are the before and after shots of the kitchen... (Note: the "before" picture was taken a long time ago... the white refrigerator has been gone for along time, leaving just the tiny stove and the brown fridge.)
 

Check out the size of my oven!!  Just imagine how many cookies I'll be able to make at once with that puppy!  


As far as church goes (and I'd say this is the best part!), God has been so faithful!  There is a church I went to off and on when I was here for school in 2007.  Great church, really nice group of "kids" my age.  But I never managed to establish any firm, deep relationships with them.  Mostly, I'm sure, because there was always an end date on the time I would be here, so neither I nor they dedicated any deliberate effort to establishing good relationships.  So... you know how when you've known someone for a few years and don't even know if they have any brothers or sisters, nor do you remember for sure exactly what they do?  It gets a little awkward to ask those questions after "knowing" each other for a couple years.  And that is the situation I found myself in.  I had a desire to go to this church, but I did not want the awkwardness, so I avoided it.  Finally, in a moment of complete vulnerability, for whatever reason (ahem... God!), I confided in one of the girls (via the internet) that I never went to church because I was shy and it was awkward.  I was never really sure why I said that to her, not to mention the fact that she was one of the ones I LEAST connected with.  Ever since I have been back, she has been so faithful to track me down and invite me to church, to go out afterwards, etc.  From the moment I arrived back, I followed through on a decision I made while I was in the States - to dive into this church in worship through both service and fellowship.  But Mariana has pulled me in even farther.  What a blessing she has been!!  I am so excited to establish deeper, meaningful, God-glorifying relationships with the people from church.  I give God ALL the glory for this opportunity!!!  Praise His name!!

1 comment:

sharilyn said...

hooray! for God and for you! and for that oven!!! woo hoo! cookies 12 at a time! gotta love that! :) will continue to pray for your visa situation...and praise for your new church and friends!