Thursday, January 8, 2009

Why me, God?

I'm going to try to cut out the unnecessary details and just great straight to the point, but, well, we'll see how that goes...

Yesterday I went with Lora, a volunteer who is here from the States with her two teenage children, to see a little furnished apartment right around the corner from the office. I have been planning on stopping by to take a look at this place for literally months and have just never done it. In fact, Lora and I were supposed to go pick up the key from the real estate office on Monday, but wound up not being able to because the car was gone from the office. And so it happened that the car was gone Tuesday, too. So yesterday I called to see if we could go pick up the key, and the realtor told me it was on its way out the door, but we could come in a few hours and get it. So I asked if we could just meet the realtor there and look at the apartment at the same time. "Well," he said, "there's not actually a realtor going, just a client, and that's kind of rude to ask her to.... Well, actually, she's saying she doesn't have a problem with it. She could meet you there in about 20 minutes." Ok! So that's exactly what we did.

It was a terrible little apartment - small, dirty, broken down, and smelly. We all agreed it wasn't for us. We stood talking for a few minutes with this girl - Iramaia (ee-duh-MY-uh) - and she told us she was looking to move into a place either by herself or with a roommate, one or two bedrooms. I told her I was in the exact same situation, and she jokingly said, "Let's live together." By the end of the conversation, we decided maybe living together wouldn't be such a bad idea. So we exchanged numbers. She was considering a different apartment in the same building she's in now and said she'd be happy to take me over there when she got off work so I could see what it was like. Perfect!

We probably spent close to an hour and a half together last night, asking questions in order to get to know each other, and walking around the apartment complex. It's a wonderful apartment - not huge, but it has three bedrooms, two bathroom, a small living/dining, kitchen, laundry room, and a balcony (3rd floor). The complex also has a pool, barbecue area, basketball court, and playground - all very beautiful, and something my current apartment lacks! I told her I'd like to think about it and I would give her an answer this morning, as she has to give the realtor an answer today. The realtor told her he could hold the apartment for her until today, so I think all we have to do is say the word and it's ours.

Well, my answer is yes! There are pros and cons both ways, but I feel very good about this and that it would be an opportunity missed if I pass it up. God is good!! Even if things don't work out, or if they work out differently than I expect right now, this is still a blessing! Why He chooses to shed His grace and blessings on me, I'm not quite sure. I certainly don't deserve it - not even for a minute. Father, thank You for this blessing! May it bring glory to Your name! (I'll keep you all posted on the final outcome...)

No comments: