Monday, January 12, 2009

USA, here I come

Ok, so if there was going to be any suspense to this blog at all, I guess I gave that away in the title. Hopefully it will still be an interesting post, however, due to the adventurous day I had!

It was about 12:15 when I headed out from the hostel to make my way to Paraguay. I walked a couple blocks, caught the bus to the "Bridge of Friendship" (Ponte da Amizade - such a great, encouraging name for a bridge between two countries, isn't it?), and headed across the border on foot. I had no idea where I was going or what exactly I was doing, but I was confident and totally up for the adventure! It felt like it had been a long while since I had last had an adventure such as this (not that I've ever done this before).

I decided I'd walk past all the backed-up traffic before trying to get a cab.  Once I did catch a taxi, it didn't take but 5-10 minutes to get to the consulate, even through the crowded streets.  The taxi driver waited for me while I went inside.  I had to fill out the visa application form three times because I kept making mistakes, and the consulate requires perfection.  Finally, they told me it wouldn't be possible to give me the visa.  I talked with the guy and asked him over and over if there was any way to get this visa without going to the States.  He assured me there wasn't; I would have to go to the States to get a new visa.  I had been sure I would get it, but God obviously has different plans at the moment. 

Corenne gave me the idea of trying the consulate in Argentina.  I decided it was at least worth a shot, so I headed outside and met my taxi driver friend, Amado, who was faithfully waiting for me, despite the almost hour and a half it took me to not get a visa at the consulate.  Shortly after we had started on our way to the Paraguay-Argentina border, we hit a bump, which brought on a LOUD noise.  It was obvious something was dragging on the ground, so Amado pulled over and got out to check out the situation.  Apparently the spare tire had mostly fallen off and was dragging, so he took care of that and we hit the road again.  (I have to mention, though, the whole car shook and rattled the entire time I was in it!)  He told me the cab ride would cost 300,000 guaranies.  Yes, 300,000.  haha!  I couldn't believe it!  Of course, that translates to only about $60, but it sure sounds like a lot more than that!

He took me to where I would catch the boat to go across to Argentina.  I was expecting a large area with a handful of ferries and lots of people going back and forth, so I was quite surprised when the last 15 yards or so of the road was dirt and rocks, and at the end of that was two men in a tiny little boat with a motor strapped to it.  Seemed a little sketchy to me, but hey, I was in Paraguay!  I paid the R$25 for the ride across, and we were there within 15 minutes or so.  Caught a taxi (an unmarked taxi... also a little sketchy, if you ask me) upon arrival in Argentina and headed to the consulate.  Turns out the consulate closes at 2pm.  I arrived at about 4:10.  So I decided I'd squeeze in a visit to the Falls, which I hadn't seen yet and call it a day.  As I'm walking to get money changed so I can catch the bus to the falls, I realized it was 4:30 pm and I still had not eaten anything today - except for the 3 cookies I ate on the bus around 9 this morning.  I was pretty hungry!  But wanting to save time, I decided I would get something to eat at the falls.  

I chose to go by taxi instead of catching the bus - partly because I was exhausted, and partly because it would be much faster.  The guy was a salesman, I can tell ya that.  From the moment I got in the car, he was trying to make deals with me.  We went to the falls only to find out the park was almost closed, so it really wouldn't be worth paying to get in.  I was disappointed, but a bit relieved to be going home for the day - it had been a long one!  

Upon my arrival at the hostel, I went to Pizza Hut to kill my hunger before it killed me. :o)  Then spent some time reading out by the pool.  Now it's definitely past time to go to bed!

I guess I better at least inform you what my (tentative) plans for returning to the States are... Corenne plans to travel with her mother soon, so I will try to travel with them in order to lend an extra hand when needed.  It's possible we will leave as soon as Thursday, but I have to admit I'm hoping it will be a little later than that.  I will leave Foz de Iguacu Wednesday, arriving Thursday morning.  To fly home that night would be crazy, so hopefully I'll have a little time to rest.  My visa expires tomorrow, but I found out I can go to the Federal Police a day after it expires, pay the day's fine (which is pretty cheap), and from then I will have 8 days to leave the country.  The man at the consulate assured me this won't cause problems in applying for a new visa, so that's the plan, and it should buy me a little time.  At the latest, by early next week I should be back in Albuquerque.  From there, I'm not 100% sure what the plan is, but I'll keep you updated. 

Sorry if I've rambled... I'm tired!!  Off to bed now...

2 comments:

sharilyn said...

wow. what a day you've had! and what an adventure this whole thing has been! (i guess i won't plan on getting those receipts anytime soon,eh???) :) ...sorry, couldn't resist that!

i'm praying for you...

Kevin said...

Crazy! Well, I know it's not ideal but we're looking forward to seeing you!